i love beef stroganoff! but, its very fattening with the sour cream and all, and frankly, i prefer to eat vegetarian during the week. so, after much thought and even more craving, i thought "why not leave out the meat?" and substitute extra portobello mushrooms...well, it worked! so delicious, satisfying and like zero calories when you substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream.
here is how i made it:
olive oil to coat bottom of large pan
2 leeks or a large onion (or a combo of the two), chopped and/or sliced
3 large portobello mushrooms, sliced bite size
pepper to taste
3 tbs flour
1-1/2 cups stock or water
1-1/2 cups greek yogurt
8 ounces egg noodles
1/2-3/4 cup pasta water from the bottom of the pot (save at the end of draining)
fresh italian parsley, finely chopped
1. heat a large pan and add olive oil
2. add onions and cook over low-medium heat for 10 or more minutes
3. increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes or so
4. season with pepper (i also add cumin, dry dill or whatever i feel like)
5. stir in flour: the mushrooms and onion will be dry
6. add stock/water; bring to a boil and reduce by 1/3 while constantly stirring
7. remove from heat
8. temper yogurt by adding small amounts of the warm veggies to the yogurt and stirring after each addition: add to pan and remove from heat
9. meanwhile, cook noodles al dente; drain and add to pan with the last 1/2-3/4 cup of pasta water.
10. heat on medium-high and stir stroganoff until creamy.
11. top with chopped parsley
12. serve and eat!